Domestic Violence Awareness Month Campaign
As a reminder, October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and the Florida Court Clerks & Comptrollers will kick off their annual campaign Thursday, October 1, promoting the Clerks’ role in assisting people who are in need of help.
How Clerks can Participate:
The Communications Committee, chaired by the Honorable Carolyn Timmann (Martin), has assisted in providing Clerks with the following tools to help bring visibility to the Clerks’ role:
- The campaign will kick off on Thursday, October 1. All Clerks’ offices are encouraged to participate by posting notices and asking staff to wear purple and/or purple ribbons to show support for the cause.
- Also, please consider dress-down or other donations that we can consolidate as a donation from Clerks and their staff to the Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence (FCADV) to raise awareness, provide training, and support the shelters statewide.
- The FCCC will be using the FCADVF Purple Purse fundraiser to provide the Clerks an easy way to contribute to the cause. A centralized Purple Purse fundraiser site for Clerks who choose to participate to donate to the Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence Foundation (FCADVF) has been set up. A link to the site appears below:
On October 1, 2015, the DONATE button on this site will be active and individuals can enter any donation amount through the site.
Clerks may offer dress-down incentives for their staff or other ways to seek donations to the site. Counties are also encouraged to post this link on their websites, Facebook pages, share with friends and vendors, and share on other social media outlets.
*For cash donations received in your office, purchasing a Visa check card, where gift cards are sold, is a good option to easily enter these funds on the site. Clerks may also send donations directly to the association and we will add these contributions.
Social Media Outreach
Also, we would also like to encourage all Clerks to share and post pictures of the campaign activities for the entire month taking place in their offices on their Facebook pages or post them on the Florida Court Clerks & Comptrollers Facebook page.
We would also recommend that Clerks frequently update their posts with pictures of their participation in these activities, and repost and share the Purple Purse donation link several times a month. This also ensures that their followers can repost and share the donation link with others as well.
- A draft Opinion/Editorial has bee prepared for Clerks to edit and use in local media markets (Op/Ed directions below).
- Suggested posts and instructions for Social Media. Also this Facebook image can be added with each post.
- A 30-second radio PSA, English and Spanish, has been produced and will be distributed statewide and will drive listeners to the Clerks’ websites for more information about Domestic Violence. Clerks may also use the PSAs for their own use or use this draft script to personalize and record at their local radio station.
- A Domestic Violence Awareness Flyer, Banner and Postcard. Clerks may use these images for any promo purposes and the Committee encourages all Clerks to use the image on their websites, if they don’t have any planned presence already.
- Signature graphics and a ribbon graphic are being provided so Clerks and Clerk staff can add reminders of Domestic Violence Awareness Month in their e-mail signatures for the month of October.
- Also, the Domestic Violence Awareness Month landing page will be on www.flclerks.com at this link: http://www.flclerks.com/?page=DomesticViolenceAwar. This page has more information on Domestic Violence, links to all Clerks’ websites, additional resources (links to FCADV and others) and the process for people who need to file for a petition for an injunction.
The Op-Ed has been produced for the Domestic Violence Awareness campaign and all Clerks are encouraged to personalize it by providing their particular domestic violence services. By contributing personalized details on your county's successes in combating this epidemic, the outreach will be highly effective in educating the public and preventing domestic violence.
After the Op-Ed has been personalized, Clerks should forward it to their local media outlets. Keep in mind, if you share media markets or outlets with other Clerks’ offices, it is suggested that these Clerks may want to provide joint opinion-editorials or coordinate their efforts. If your office needs assistance in distributing it to the media, please e-mail Allison Newman (email@example.com).
Domestic Violence Awareness Month Press Conference:
A press conference has been scheduled in Tallahassee at the Capitol on October 21 (Time TBD). All Clerks are encouraged to attend and participate in the press conference. More information on this event will be provided to Clerks when details become available
Please contact the association, if you have any questions or need any further details.