Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
How Do I Obtain a Passport?

Obtain a Passport

Many Clerk’s Offices take applications for passports. You will need to bring a certified birth certificate, a photo I.D. and money for processing. Some Clerk’s Offices provide for taking passport photos, or you can have one taken at a number of places, including certain travel agencies and photo centers. Check your yellow pages under “Passport and Visa Services.”

The Clerk of the Court is only an acceptance agent, responsible for receiving and forwarding your application to the Department of State, Passport Services. The U.S. Department of State establishes the guidelines for acceptance and how the passports are processed. Should you have any questions, problems, or concerns, you must contact the appropriate Passport Office by calling toll free:  1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) or for TTY/TDD 1-888-874-7793.

You can also obtain information about passports by accessing the following Web sites:

Passport Fees

First time application:

  • Effective February 1, 2004 all applicants must appear in person to apply for a passport, including minors.
  • If you are 16 years of age and older the passport fee is $110.00.
  • If you are 15 years of age or younger the passport fee is $80.00.
  • The passport fee must be paid by check or money order payable to "U.S. Dept. of State.”
  • The Clerk of the Circuit Court charges a separate execution fee of $25.00.
  • The execution fee can be paid by cash, check or money order payable to the "Clerk of the Circuit Court.”  Visa and MasterCard are also acceptable for payment of the execution fee in many offices.

What happens if I lose my passport?
You must submit a statement along with an application to the Clerk’s office.

When can I expect my passport to arrive?
You can expect your passport to arrive within 45 business days plus mailing time from the date of submission. Expedited service guarantees processing within 7 to 10 business days.  This is all dependent on the time taken by U.S. Passport Services. There is an additional $60 charge, made payable to the U.S. Dept. of State, to expedite the service.

More Facts on Passports

What are the types of passports?
First-time passport: for adults 16 and older who have never received a passport or if the passport was issued more than 15 years prior, proof of photo ID, certified copy of your birth certificate, proof of citizenship, social security number and two passport photos are required. The fees are listed above. 

Renewal of passport: applies to passports issued less than 15 years prior. A “pink form” must be filled out and accompanied with the previous passport.

Child’s passport: for children 15 and younger and is good for 5 years. Photo ID for the parent of the child applying for the passport must be presented along with the signature of both parents or guardians if the child is under the age of 13 and one if the child is 14 or 15.  $60

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal